Monday, September 04, 2006

History: Silent Cal

I think the AP US History exam is getting easier. Here is a question from 2005:

Although Coolidge was known to be a skilled and effective public speaker, in private he was a man of few words and was therefore commonly referred to as "Silent Cal." It is said that a White House dinner guest once made a bet with her friends that she could get the President to say at least three words during the course of the meal. Upon telling Coolidge of her wager, he replied

a. "You lose."
b. "Ma'am, when I was six I crapped in a mason jar and gave it to my kid brother, Nosy Cal, as a chocolate ice cream treat."
c. "And you're ugly. But in the morning I will still be silent. And drunk. I mean - Winston! Come over here, if you please."
d. "I love you for your body - and nothing else."
e. "Kiss this."

No comments: